Friday 26 June 2015

Into The Night

The night was growing darker with each passing moment but life had just begun in frenzy for a bunch of enthusiasts. I was walking under the dazzling stars and as I looked towards the dark empyrean, I felt a chill that ran straight down my spine. The smoke in my hand fell and I quivered in an attempt to save it.

How long have I been up? It was past midnight and the hum-drums of the day had almost come to an end. Half the world was in deep slumber dreaming of their own demons and angels. The rest half was fighting it.

He had shouted at me that day. I was in tears. And I was clueless. What mattered to him more?

It has been 2 years. It’s all afresh and I can still see the smile and looks that we shared now and then. The text messages, the calls that went on for hours during the tours, meetings and lunch breaks. But time has wings, beautiful wings and it flies fast decomposing the episodes even faster.

The phone was ringing and I was frantically texting using all the social media apps with a hope that he might check one of them. Hard luck. It had been 3 days since we had any point of contact. 

When did I start becoming a BĂȘte noire?

A car honked past me and I realized I had been smoking again. The night was growing eerier with bats flying all across the dark grey & navy hue.

At the end of the road I could see faint colored lights glowing and a distant music that was playing on repeat. I sauntered unmindful but captivated towards it. I could see faintly now the exuberant crowd and amidst it a beautiful silhouette draped in the orange fuchsia lehenga. A handsome groom proud to have her stood like a guard with a promise to keep her happy and let her live her life. I could now see how glad he was to have her. Will it remain like this forever?

What had gone wrong? The question is how we let it go wrong.

It had been 2 years since I wore a similar Lehenga. I was skeptical about the future. I was wearing the rainbow colored bangles. I was the Bride. He had the same promise in his eyes. Apparently it was just 3 weeks back when I found out that I was pregnant. And he was happy about it. I was in a fix.

‘Congratulations! You are going to London to head the new project.’

Dream of the lifetime! I had to choose. The road had bifurcated into left and right.

Why didn’t he keep his promise? Why couldn’t he live my dream?

I had been smoking for the entire night pondering over the turn of events; the choice that I made and the choice that he made. I felt my knees go weak. But then a geyser opened somewhere inside me. Warm and comforting, I bathed into the strength that flowed. Life came back and I trudged back home.

I packed my bags. I had a flight for London at 0310 hours tomorrow. As I lied down, I felt something under the pillow. He was divorcing me.

I closed my eyes and a deep breath helped. I had a new life waiting at the doors. 

8 comments:

  1. i wish we could remember all the stories we create while we sleep.. coz the best of what we write are from the ones we remember.. good going girl! keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u... But we can fabricate many more with the very few we remember!

      Delete
  2. You deserve great applause. Worthy . The delicate arrangement of words with layers of emotion entwined . The introduction conjured up so well that I wished to go on reading and relish in the poignant writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey shilpi,
    indeed nicely written. i liked the selection of words. :)

    ReplyDelete